Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Web-Tools (2018 - December)
(Text as at 06/01/2019 23:36:58)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
Rationale for this Project
- This Project was alluded to briefly in a footnote on research methodology in my original Research Proposal1 under the head Research - Internet Technology2. When last at Birkbeck, I wrote a more extensive paper3 defending the Project and describing its rationale. Now that my PhD is in suspense, I have decided to take this Project further. There’s a lot to do: still quite a few items on the “wish list”. It is fairly critical as an enabler for my research, so I need to get a move on as I want it all out of the way before I re-start4 formal research.
- For documentation on my website (currently password protected) follow the links below:-
- Functional5 Documentation6.
- Technical7 Documentation.
- Other Websites8
- Sometime around 2005, I created a website for Dr. Sophie Botros (Sophie Botros: Live Site), one of my supervisors at Birkbeck, but we then lost touch and it got maintained (very badly) by some desktop support outfit. In 2Q15 I took it back on again and spruced it up a bit, and maintain it periodically, though it still requires more work.
- I created and / or ran a multitude of bridge websites, but as of January 2018 I have either handed them over or mothballed them9:-
- I established the Hutton Bridge Club Website in 4Q11 using the standard Bridgewebs service, but with a couple of competitions using my own routines. This was handed over in 3Q15.
- In 1Q15, I took over the support and development of the Essex Contract Bridge Association (ECBA) website, which also uses Bridgewebs, but is very much larger. I wrote a lot of code10 to make this job less tedious. The site was handed over in 4Q17.
- For several years, I collected data11 on bridge activity in the Billericay / Brentwood area (initially needed for a project to set up a new consolidated club) – by “scraping” data off web pages, consolidating it into a database and modelling it in various ways.
- I used this data to generate websites with a multitude of ladders for small clubs (Essex Bridge Results). These are now mothballed.
- I created and maintained a new website for the First Class Bridge Academy, giving it “small clubs” ladders as these were easy to maintain with little intervention.
- In 3Q16 I revived the Mountnessing Bridge Club Archive website.
- I’ve created and continue to maintain a small website for a music group Julie and I attend – the Enigma Ensemble.
- I created a website for displaying the textual and grammatical analyses and appendices of Pete’s PhD on the Acts of the Apostles. It exists in two versions: Acts: Live Site and Acts: Test Site.
- I did consider returning to work part-time as an MS Access/Excel developer, with a spin-off into website generation, but have done nothing about it so far.
Summary of Progress during October - December 2018
Website (Total Hours = 75)
- I spent 79.5 hours in 4Q18 on this Project, or related work (79.5 hours YTD, where for "YTD" - Year to Date - I mean the (academic) year that commenced in October 2018). That's 51% of the planned effort (51% YTD). Overall, 13.3% of my Project effort in the Quarter was directed towards this project (making 13.3% YTD) - as against 22.2% planned (22.2% YTD).
- Again, I made no progress at all on the courses put out by Harvard
→ "Harvard University - CS50 Introduction to Computer Science", and
I still intend to make a serious attempt to complete the former sometime (I will need to re-start). However, I decided to precede it with the latter which is more immediately relevant.
- Early in the quarter I’d been on course to approximate budget, but decisions to meet or exceed budget on other projects – in particular my Thesis, Music and Chess – and two weeks’ illness – got in the way in the latter half of the quarter, when I did virtually nothing on this project, so I only achieved about 50% of plan in the end.
- However, I did manage to spend 55 hours developing my own site and did a lot of useful work.
- Completed items included:-
- Own Website:
- As revealed by Spider: Old links in unregenerated pages. 8 Items.
- Outstanding Developments by Category appearing all in Bold, and links to lists failing.
- Create Priority Task List Report12.
- As revealed by Spider: Links from Blog in Level 1 or 2 Printed Notes 51213 and 98114 failing. 141 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Links to sundry 'static' pages failing.
- 13 items fixed.
- 7 items outstanding: to do with Pete's PhD Test site. Links seem to be OK, so may be a problem with the Spider. Directory "Petes_PhD" was the only one set to "do not parse". The file wasn't in the site map. Reset; hopefully it'll work!
- As revealed by Spider: Status Reports - Achived Notes - sundry links failing. 50 items in total. Live Notes fixed.
- Website: Maintenance Dashboard15. 14 items.
- Personal Identity Status Report16. 11 items.
- Summary Status Report17. 4 items.
- Actual Detail Summary Report18. 6 items.
- Chess Status Report19. 12 items.
- Etc. 3 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Consciousness Status Report20 Achived Notes - links to BookCatalogCategorised_16_115_471.htm failing. Live Note OK. 46 items. 24 items outstanding.
- As revealed by Spider: Sundry links failed for Supervisions. 30 items.
- Added 'time to regenerate' sub-totals & grand-totals to Website Maintenance Dashboard21.
- Determined why Full_Link_Up_Levels_Gen takes so long - approximately 4 hours. Re-architected to reduce database reads.
- Links occasionally missing from Summary Task List22 and Summary Task List (YTD)23.
- Added Display text to WebRefs for Links to Stanford, Wikipedia & Aeon
- Other Websites:
- Added 'EE' shortcut icon on all Webpage browser tabs
- Added 'SB' shortcut icon on all Webpage browser tabs
- Full details for 18Q4 are given below:-
Website Others (Total Hours = 4.5)
- Website - Development (Total Hours = 55)
- Create Timeline software: Add photos of Tom & Coxes Farm (10.5 hours)
- Investigate Spider_Copy: Full_Link_Up_Levels_Gen. (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add timestamps to MsgBox completion messages (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add totals to Maintenance Dashboard (5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Development Log - Bug Fixes (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Fixes re Broken Links revealed by Spider (15.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Investigating pgn4web Chess-game viewer (1.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Links from Blog in Level 1 or 2 Printed Notes 512 and 981 failing (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Links occasionally missing from Summary Task Lists (1.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Maintain consolidated Development Log (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Priority Task List Report (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Various fixes re Supervisions Notes Directory errors (4.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Web Spider - Check out & correct missing links (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Web Spider - Delete Raw_Links associated with Pruned Files (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - WebRefs - Added Display text to WebRefs (2.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - WebRefs - Added Display text to WebRefs for Links to Stanford, Wikipedia & Aeon (5.25 hours)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development" (55 hours)
- Website - Education (Total Hours = 2)
- Website - Infrastructure (Total Hours = 5.5)
- iCloud for Windows Installation (0.75 hours)
- Julie's Laptop Support - Including Windows 10 Bugs & Upgrades (0.25 hours)
- Microsoft Windows 10 / MS Office - Releases, Bugs & Periodic Re-boots (2.5 hours)
- PC Backups / OneDrive (1.5 hours)
- XMas Newsletter - photos & formatting (0.5 hours)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development" (5.5 hours)
- Website - Maintenance (Total Hours = 12.5)
- 18Q3 Status Reports (1 hour)
- Renew Kaspersky License (0.75 hours)
- Website - Correct WHOIS Data for theotodman.com Domain Name (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - General: Tidy up Site - delete un-updated pages (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - WebRefs - Manual URL Checks (0.5 hours)
- Website - Periodic Full Regeneration (6.25 hours)
- Website - Run Web Spider (1.25 hours)
- Website - ZoomSearch database refresh (1 hour)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development" (11.5 hours)
- Website Others - Enigma Ensemble (Total Hours = 1.5)
- Website Others - Sophie Botros (Total Hours = 3)
Plans for the Near Future
I’ve had to halve the planned weekly effort on this project to 6 hours in order to allow for other commitments. While there’s still a lot on my development “priority list”, my hope for the current academic year was to focus on updating my technical competence. However, I can’t see how to fit it in. The Plan below is taken automatically from the Priority 1 items on my Development Log, as published in my Outstanding Developments24 Report.
- Own Website: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Fix Bug whereby PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-” Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Where possible, use ID rather than NAME for in-page hyperlinks
- As revealed by Spider: Author pages not regenerated when name corrected, leading to Sundry broken Links from other pages. 72 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Philosophers_Index_List_OA.htm. Author Names Scrambled. 133 items.
- Review architecture to improve performance; Need to document first
- Investigate whether multiple Subject/Topic/Subtopic usage leads anywhere (ie. are just the first (of 3) actually used). Fix anything amiss.
- Provide Functional Documentation for Website Generator (using Notes)
- Investigate Bootstrap.
- Plan what to do with "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses" and the eBooks in my possession.
- Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World".
- Read "Barnes (Russell), Ed. - Web Designer".
- Re-start "Harvard University - CS50 Introduction to Computer Science". Maybe just "audit".
- Understand Bitcoin & Blockchain better
- Re-install iCloud: solve 'The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing' problem
- Add "Note Alternates" to Note pages.
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place.
- For use as "disclaimers" - eg. for "Plug Notes".
- For Thesis / essays: the difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- As revealed by Spider: #Reference links: fail for Printable Notes. 24 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Blog25 Achived Notes - sundry links to Printable Notes. Live Note OK. 110 items. 100 items outstanding.
- As revealed by Spider: Old links from Archive Notes to (non-existent) Archived Printable Notes. 42 items.
- Investigate Note_Links: Section references seem to be incorrect
- Printable Notes: fix the bug whereby the “private” flag is round the wrong way.
- Suppress the publication of the Printable versions of Temp Notes
- Create Timeline software: Add photos of Tom & Coxes Farm
- Develop software & procedure to make adding more content to the photos pages easier to undertake.
- As revealed by Spider: Sundry uncategorised. Refs failing. 17 items.
- Determine why Recalculation & Changed Book/Papers produce unneeded regeneration.
- Full Website Regeneration is now taking 27 hours. Investigate why so, and improve performance!
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken Internal links and prevent recurrence.
- Correct the code so the problems discovered by the Spider don’t recur.
- Delete 'orphan pages' that are never linked to, ie. Use the Spider to prune redundant pages26 automatically where possible.
- Fix the historical data where errors are uncovered by the Spider. An easier task now the site has a full-regen function.
- The Spider was generating WebRefs. Procedurally, this ought not to have been possible.
I've re-opened the case!
- The major problem turned out to be because unprocessed27 URLs got added to the end of the last WebLinks_Tester_Brief page, which then got Spidered. I've stopped this happening, so hopefully the problem will not recur. The fix was made in 18Q2.
- However, 4 other creations appeared - dated 18/05/18 - from the run of 10/07/18. The creation date was from the previous spider run, but the IDs show that they were produced in the latest run.
- Look into Sistrix Smart28. Errors and warnings itemised are:-
- Duplicate content: seems to be theotodman.com and Link (Defunct)
- Title Tags: Empty, too long, identical
- Page Not Found
- Filesize in excess of 1Mb
- Meta-Description: Empty
- Few words on Page
- H1: Not used, used multiple times per page, identical across pages
- Pictures: Alt attribute missing
- As revealed by Spider: WebLinks_Tester_Full_Map.htm (etc). Refs failing. 116 items.
- As revealed by Spider: WebLinks_Tester_Map_3.htm (etc). Refs failing. 16 items.
- Documentation & Bug-fixes: Phase 2
- Re-document the procedures in the light of recent changes.
- Resolve issues generated / revealed by the spider.
- Investigate - and fix where possible - broken links.
- Reformat WebLinks_Tester.htm, WebLinks_Tester_Map.htm, WebLinks_Tester_Full.htm & WebLinks_Tester_Full_Map.htm
- Clarify 'truncated': Display, not link
- Allow more space for 'link returned', 'issue' and 'display text'
- The 'As Above" lines waste space. Only for Notes Archive? Consolidate onto single second line.
- Reformat WebLinks_Tester_Brief: Allow more space for 'link returned', 'issue' and 'display text'
- Other Websites: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
Summary of Progress to Date
This is hived off to various separate documents, which have now been harmonising and / or consolidated:-
- Summary of Progress to Date29.
- Outstanding Developments30,
- Functional Documentation31,
- A summary of time expended across the years developing my website32 is at "Software Development - Website - Development".
In-Page Footnotes:Footnote 4:
- Well, I’ve missed the boat, so will need to continue with both projects in parallel.
- This was always likely to be necessary, as new features will always arise in use. It’s a prototype methodology, after all.
- This is very tedious to produce and consequently is both incomplete and out of date.
- This is much more fun, as it’s a purely technical task.
- I’ve written a vastly-improved general-purpose technical documenter for MS Access.
- It’s a shame to abandon the “mini websites” with all their ladders, as it’s rather well done.
- However, I can’t waste time on these after I’ve abandoned bridge.
- In particular, for the ECBA “Victor Ludorum” competition.
- I cannot hand any of this code over, so the tedium will return, though not to me!
- I had agreed to share this data sometime early in 2018
- But will wait until asked again, as I doubt it’ll be of any real use to anyone.
- Note that Backup_Prune_Ctrl deletes (relevant) pages that weren't regenerated in the last full site-regen, but this isn't the same thing.
- These are URLs that were used in web pages but hadn't yet been converted to the +WnnnW+ format, so appeared at the end with no WebRef ID.
- See Sistrix
- This used to be called Optimizr, see Optimizr (which now auto-forwards to Sistrix).
- A quick look doesn’t show it to be an obvious scam, but I need to double-check.
- An unsolicited analysis of my site turned up monthly from Optimizr from January 2015 to October 2017, listing a large number of “problems” that I think I know about, but which are in the queue to address.
- It restarted in February 2018, under the Sistrix name (this seems to have been associated with Optimizr since November 2015).
- The free version of this software is restricted to 1,000 pages, which is a very small proportion of my Site, though I may be able to point it to difference base-URLs.
- But I do need to address the problems validly itemised, and a sub-set is still useful.
- As distinct from developing other peoples’ websites – time which is also recorded against this project, but not against this task.
Table of the Previous 12 Versions of this Note: (of 71)
Summary of Note Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note
||Website - Development
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019